Monday, July 15, 2013

Glamour Do's and Don'ts

   I love Glamour magazine.  Glamour is probably the first "grown up" magazine I began reading when I was in middle or high school.  One of my favorite parts of Glamour has been the Do's and Don'ts page.  I've always wondered if the women who had the dreaded black bar over their eyes ever saw themselves in the magazine.  I would be mortified!
   When I was browsing my local library to beat the heat I came across a big from Glamour called, 'Glamour's Big Book of Do's and Don'ts."  It's a MUST read for any fashionista.





        The book was broken into sections according to work, special event, going out, weekend, etc.  For each area of dressing Glamour gave a list of rules to follow.  Here are some of my favorite according to section:

Weekends

*Have at least three white t-shirts that fit and feel great.
Ladies, I need help with this one!  All of the white tees I own are too sheer and require an under layer.  I want to invest in some good quality non-sheer white tees.  Where should I start?


*Switch to a weekend-specific bag
This is a rule I just started following.  I either switch to a weekend specific bag with a lot less stuff, or if my bag is already weekend and work appropriate, I just empty out a lot of my Monday-Friday stuff for the weekend.

Work

*Dress for the job you want, not the one you have
This is the number one rule for any job.  Pay attention to how the girl who has your dream job dresses and follow suit.  Of course, if you work at a job that is very casual you don't want to wear power suits every day, but don't dress as casual as you normally would.



*Don't feel that you need to show up in a different outfit every single day.
Get some basic dresses and outfits and change it up by adding a different pair of shoes or belt.  No need to reinvent the wheel.

Nights Out

*Don't show everything all at once.
This is one of those rules that I just want to scream at girls sometimes!  If you are showing off the girls, cover up the bottom half and if you are wearing something in a mini proportion, keep it more conservative on the top.



*Bring on the hairspray and accessories.
You're going out to hit the town!  It's the perfect time to make the hair a bit bigger and the accessories a bit bolder.

Special Events

*When in doubt, dress up
This is a rule my Grandma taught me when I was younger.  It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed.



*Think long-term with special event purchases.
Investing in the perfect little black dress, bejeweled clutch or special occasion shoes is the perfect investment in your social life.  It's so comforting to know that if a last minute event pops up, you have the perfect dress up pieces in your closet to wow everyone!




1 comment:

Tammy said...

When you find that perfect white shirt please let me know! I hate wearing a million layers to cover up my nude bra..defeats the purpose.

FTC Disclosure

All products are purchased by me unless noted otherwise. If a product is supplied for review, this does not affect my opinion. My opinions can not be bought.
© Fabulously Thrifty. Powered by